Subject: My support for the petition

From: Zdzislaw Meglicki <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 1992 11:29:51 +1000 (EST)

I support your petition:

   Zdzislaw Gustav Meglicki, [email-masked],
   Automated Reasoning Program - CISR, and Plasma Theory Group - RSPhysS,
   The Australian National University, G.P.O. Box 4, Canberra, A.C.T., 2601, 
   Australia, fax: (Australia)-6-249-0747, tel: (Australia)-6-249-0158

P.S.
Although not an American Citizen, I feel that issues such as this affect
computing community all over the World, especially in other "Internet
Countries" of which Australia is a proud and contributing member. Like
it or not, the US is a computing superpower even more than it is a
superpower in other areas. Whatever happens in this area in the US
affects instantaneously Computer Science departments elsewhere.
It should be also remembered that pure research in Computer Science
ultimately gave us Lisp, SML, Prolog, Software and Hardware verification
systems such as HOL and NuPRL, The Connection Machine, X Windows, and
many other marvels which have found numerous practical applications over
the years, and no doubt will find even more applications in the future.
It is very shortsighted to neglect fundamental research in any area, but
it is doubly so in areas such as Computer Science that have so many
obvious practical applications.