Subject: I support the petition

From: Michael Hucka <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 92 01:33:37 EDT

Someone forwarded to me the posting to comp.os.research of 8 Sep 92 regarding 

  A petition sponsored by John McCarthy, Bob Boyer, Jack Minker,
  John Mitchell, and Nils Nilsson.

  We are asking you to join us in asking the Computer Science and
  Telecommunications Board of the National Research Council to withdraw
  for revision its report entitled ``Computing the Future: A Broader
  Agenda for Computer Science and Engineering'', because we consider it
  misleading and even harmful as an agenda for future research.  Our
  objections include its defining computer science in terms of a narrow
  set of applied objectives, and its implication that the tone of
  computer science is to be set by government agencies, university
  administrators and industrialists and that computer scientists are
  just the ``soldiers on the ground''.

Please add my name in support of the petition.

-- Mike
_____________________________________________________________________________
Mike Hucka                     | Internet: [email-masked]    
University of Michigan AI Lab  | 1101 Beal Ave., Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2110