Subject: Re: For your information...

From: Joseph Cheriyan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1992 14:37:37 -0400

This is to put my "signature" on the petition.
Thanks,
Joseph Cheriyan
Department of Combinatorics and Optimization
University of Waterloo
Waterloo, Ontario
CANADA, N2L 3G1
e-mail:	[email-masked]
phone:	(519) 885-1211 ext 3482 
	(519) 888-4845

---

From: Schobbens Pierre-Yves <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 92 16:44:12 +0100

THE PETITION

We, the undersigned computer scientists and engineers, find the report
``Computing the Future: A Broader Agenda for Computer Science and
Engineering'' misleading and even harmful as an agenda for future
research.  We have four objections.  First, it defines computer
science in terms of a narrow set of applied objectives.  Second, it
suggests that the tone of computer science is to be set by government
agencies, university administrators and industrialists and that
computer scientists are just the ``soldiers on the ground''.  Third,
it pre-emptively surrenders to the bad idea that basic research should
not be supported and that all support for science should be based on
``concrete demonstration of benefit to the nation.''  Fourth, it lacks
an adequate summary of scientific research goals and the resources
needed to achieve them.

We request that the Computer Science and Telecommunications Board
withdraw the report for rewriting, especially the Preface and
Executive Summary.  Chapters 2 and 3 also need to be replaced.  The
revision should discuss computer science in terms of the questions
computer scientists are curious about, and should emphasize that the
research goals, as in all sciences, are determined primarily by the
researchers.

-- 
Pierre-Yves Schobbens
 
Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique	phone:  +33 83 91 24 25  
Centre de Recherche en Informatique de Nancy 	e-Mail: [email-masked]
Campus Scientifique, B.P. 239			fax:    +33 83 41 30 79
F-54506 Vandoeuvre-les-Nancy Cedex		telex:  NANCYUN 960 646 F