Individual Choice of Occupation and Lifestyle
Material progress has not led to uniformity in personal choice - as is
sometimes claimed. In fact individuals have more freedom to choose,
occupation, lifestyle and avocations than ever. The amount of choice
will grow as societies become yet more prosperous.
How can we measure this? Here are some ways.
Sustainability of Progress
- The total number of different occupations.
- The reduced correlation between a person's occupation
and that of his or her father or mother.
- The increase in the number of available hobbies.
- The increased choice in where to live. Grown children often
live, by choice, very far from their parents.
- Increased public tolerance of different lifestyles.
Send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
The number of hits on this page since 1998 July 2.