Next: What Are The Axioms
Up: Towards a Mathematical Science
Previous: What Are The Entities
Primarily. we would like to be able to prove that
given procedures solve given problems. However,
proving this may involve proving a whole host of other
kinds of statement such as:
- Two procedures are equivalent, i.e. compute the
- A number of computable functions satisfy a
certain relationship, such as an algebraic identity or a
formula of the functional calculus.
- A certain procedure terminates for certain initial
data, or for all initial data.
- A certain translation procedure correctly translates procedures between one programming language
- One procedure is more efficient than another
equivalent procedure in the sense of taking fewer steps
or requiring less memory.
- A certain transformation of programs preserves
the function expressed but increases the efficiency.
- A certain class of problems is unsolvable by any
procedure, or requires procedures of a certain type for
Tue May 14 13:32:03 PDT 1996