Up: FROM HERE TO
- To what extent will all these problems have to be faced
explicitly by people working with neural nets and connectionist
systems? The systems I know about are too primitive for the
problems even to arise. However, more ambitious systems will
inhabit the common sense informatic situation. They will have to
be elaboration tolerant and will require some kind of mental model
of the consequences of actions.
- I got useful suggestions from Eyal Amir, Sasa Buvac and
- Some additional relevant papers are in my book [McCarthy, 1990] and
- My understanding that I should prepare a printable version of
this invited talk came rather late. I expect that both the spoken
version and the 1996 November Web version will have better
explanations of the important concepts.
- This work was partly supported by ARPA (ONR) grant
Sun Apr 19 15:21:34 PDT 1998